Independent Review Mechanism
The Ministry of Children and Youth Services (MCYS) has developed an Independent Review Mechanism (IRM) for the Autism Intervention Program (AIP) in Ontario. Contact Niagara is the Coordinator for the IRM. As the IRM Coordinator, Contact Niagara’s role is to:
- Administer and manage the review process across the province;
- Act as key liaison between reviewers, parents/caregivers and AIP service providers;
- Recruit, educate, and manage a roster of independent reviewers.
The purpose of the IRM is to enhance the consistency, transparency and fairness of decisions made regarding a child’s eligibility or discharge from the Autism Intervention Program.
Parents/caregivers who receive notice that their child is ineligible for, or being discharged from, the Autism Intervention Program may request an independent review of that decision.
The review process will include:
- a mandatory internal administrative review conducted by the Autism Intervention Program Provider;
- and an external review conducted by an independent reviewer selected by the IRM Coordinator.